Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Experiment #1

So, for a week, I did my best to acquaint myself with all those within an accessible circle of influence. This ended in several results...

Results: I met several people, including Tad, Laura, Natalie, and Courtney. As I had suspected, the short time I spent talking to them created for me a connection with them, which led to an heightened awareness of their presence, a deeper desire to get to know them, and an increased attentiveness to their well-being. It made me happy to know that they knew who I was, and even happier when we met again, and in some cases, when they showed a genuine desire for my company. However, I didn't meet quite as many people as I had originally hoped; I found that I know almost everyone in my classes, where I work, and among my friends' friends (that I come into even distant contact with). This made it difficult to even find anyone with whom to begin acquaintance.

Conclusion 1: I like people. Knowing them makes me happy, and them knowing me makes me even happier.

Conclusion 2: I could have been a little braver in my efforts to get to know people.

Conclusion 3: It really isn't awkward to talk to people you don't know; most people are completely fine with a casual conversation, as long as it's done in a laid-back, courteous fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment